iBurbia Studios sister company Decipher provide detailed content and functionality auditing for the TV video-on-demand (VOD) markets. The VOD Audit is a comprehensive supply-side report of video on demand content. 90,000 hours of content has been captured over the course of 5 years revealing the different approaches to on demand scheduling taken at a platform, channel and episodic level. We currently monitor all major DTV and over the top (OTT) services, these are: Sky, Virgin Media, BT Vision+, YouView (Including broadcaster catch-up players, BT and TalkTalk systems), LoveFilm, Netflix, NowTV, Blinkbox, Xbox Video and the Playstation Store. Some headlines from the current Q3 2013 audit include:
- Online transactional platforms (e.g. Blinkboxand games consoles) have significantly more titles available than both subscription sVOD(Netflix and Lovefilm) and digital TV platforms (Sky, Virgin and YouView).
- On average, the over the top online providers offer 30% more VOD than their digital TV (DTV) competitors.
- Of all VOD providers, Blinkbox (+27%) and LoveFilm (+34%) grew most in the June-September period.
- In September 2013, Sony’s Playstation Store claims the largest VOD library, beating Microsoft’s Xbox Video. Looking only at previously collected services, Blinkbox retains its lead over Netflix.
- YouView is now the largest catch-up TV provider, overtaking Sky and offering its users 85 more assets. Both services offer double the amount delivered to Virgin homes. YouView catch-up has grown 24% since June.
Perhaps you want to validate the claims a competitor platforms is making about its VOD library, or maybe you want to look at the scheduling strategies of competitor channels – with nearly 200,000 pieces of content captured and analysed the VOD Audit can deliver this. The VOD Audit records how many hours each channel is supplying to platforms, how much of this is HD/3D, what is the size, shape and make up of catch up and archive areas on these platforms and what’s the pricing strategy for movies on demand. All of this data is presented in a easy to use interactive model.